There have been a number of warnings about the exponential growth of ransomware and the recent outbreak to hit the NHS and over the globe on Friday 12th May 2017.
Ransomware is a form of malicious software (Malware) that enables cyber criminals to remotely lock down files on your computer or mobile device. Criminals will use ransomware to extort money (BitCoins) from you (a ransom), before they restore access to your files. There are many ways that ransomware can infect your device, whether it be a link to a malicious website in an unsolicited email, or through a security vulnerability in a piece of software you use.
Our customers are protected with our advanced endpoint protection that offers next-generation technology and provides host-based behavioural analysis and exploit interception that proactively blocks ransomware such as WannaCry.
Your business should make sure they have a properly configured firewall and have the latest Windows security updates installed, in particular MS17-010 to prevent spreading.
Here are some other hints and tips:-
- Ensure Windows Updates are being downloaded and updated to your systems.
- Install System & Application Updates on all devices when they become available
- Install Anti-Virus and Anti-Spam Solutions and keep it updated.
- Create Regular Backups of Important Files and Install a Disaster Recovery Solution
- Don’t open attachments or click on the links in unsolicited emails you receive and NEVER respond to emails asking for personal or financial information.
- The Sender’s Name and Email Address can be spoofed, always check with the recipient before doing anything, this is a common scam.
- Do NOT OPEN attachments you are not expecting to receive (especially filenames ending .exe)
- Remove Bank Account Details from Financial Documents.
- Do not download anything suspicious without checking with our IT Specialists first.
- Do not allow anyone to connect to your PC without giving authorisation first.
- If in any doubt at all please call our support team on 01246 861100 or email email@example.com